Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Aliens and Bob Barker to make appearance at Teen Campout...

What do you get when you mix 20 teens, 7 adults, 7 College students, hiking, aliens, Bob Barker, lots of good, and the great hot Georgia august weather? Well i was hoping you could tell me, cause its either a lot of fun or a strange stinky queso dip. Anywho, just over a week away from this extravagnza and its coming along well.
Blake and I have been our heads together on this one (well his head has more to contribute), trying to get every detail in place. While it seems like all the activities are coming together, certain logistics are still not settled. The administration part of ministry tends to be very difficult. It involves a lot of patience, planning, and necessitates effective communication with people all around you. Of course, i can plan "things" all i want if i have the time and energy to spend putting detail together, but spiritual guidance is more difficult. It takes a dedicated man, filled with the spirit, and covered in grace to be a Pastor. You all know how difficult it is for us to take care of ourselves spiritually, but in addition to shepherd a flock of God's people. This is a high calling, no doubt. I can look at those challenges, see difficulties, know that I will fail, but my heart longs for it still anyway! I think sometimes i want to scare myself out of ministry. In fact, even now, writing this all out, I wonder "how am I going to be able to do this?" (in fact, i wonder a lot. worth, value, strength, character, do I have it?) Ah, and i quickly realize "not I, but Christ." Only by God's grace which, "teaching us that denying ungodliness and worldly lust, we should soberly, righteously and God in this present world." That is power.
In preparing for one weekend for our teenagers, i see many aspects of what i will face in the ministry. Am I ready for it? Certainly not. Am I still pursuing it? haha, you bet!