Sunday, May 10, 2009

Finals, Summer, Mother's Day, Lime green and Shaving Cream: nonsensical update and wisdom

My pre-finals week went something like this: 3 lengthy papers, 1 presentation, 2 tests. It was a difficult week, but I pulled through and its history. Finals week wasn't bad. I had two finals within the first two days, so despite the fact that it takes much time and preparation to fare well on most final exams, I was done on tuesday and these too are history. Now for the grades: A, A, A, etc... as expected in most classes. Then, unsuspectingly I pulled a B+ in Greek 1002 (the hardest freakin language class I have ever taken) when I was riding the C border-line all semester. I scored over 100 on the last test, and I'm assuming I made on A on the final.
So now it is summer. Incognito for a week in Suwanee was restful pushing boring. I did laundry, saw Star Trek ( probably the biggest Summer "must-see", watched many episodes of Stargate SG-1, and got gnawed on by my Mother's Westhighland Terror, uh I mean Terrier. He likes toes and wrists, demanding belly-rubs with the threat of amputation of any appendage in his range. But I diegress for the climax and the moral containing fable I am about to tell about Mother's day is what you will really get a kick out of. Mother's day is a day for honoring your Mother (in addition to every other day "and the days of your life will be long"). I have a great one. She is crazy, but has loved my siblings and myself with everything she has, so this year instead of being cheezy and making her some lame "creative" gift (this works for 5 year-olds) I decided with my sister to buy my mom something nice. We decided we would get her a colored-pearl chain necklace. Its classy and cost me a pretty penny. My sister agreed to pay half. She never did, and THEN without my presence on Mother's day morning, my sister craftily took the gift from its hiding place and presented it to my mother. Again I will say, she did this WITHOUT ME and without contributing to the gift. I was not as mad as I was upset that i didn't get to give the prized necklace to my mom.

Two quick side stories before the moral:

1) my brother bought like 10 kippas (jewish hats) and asked me if I wanted a lime green one. It was a funny moment. He is buying them to match his different outfits. I am not Jewish. He is trying to become Jewish. So I ask myself, "self, why is Chris buying so many different colored kippas to match his outfits. Does he plan on wearing one all the time now?" The answer is yet to be determined, but it made me laugh.

2) My girlfriend hated my most recent shaving cream scent. I use EGDE because it keeps my skin fresh, moist, and with minium irritation as I have sensitive skin. So we went on a little adventure to find some with a scent that she likes. The story ends with me having to scent-free shaving gel (EDGE), the only choice being ultra-sensitive oatmeal enhanced. Hmmm. I'm not sure how I feel about this. My next shave should be delicious, though mildly boring and soapy. I will compensate by wearing cologne.

The moral: get a better hiding spot for presents you don't want to be found and given away in someone else's name.