Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Grace, forgiveness, and restoration

Have you, Christian and non-christian, ever seen a family on the brink of disestablishment, about to be torn apart because of the unfaithfulness of a parent and spouse? Yes, I believe that affairs followed by divorce are growing in their commonality within our culture. It hurts! so much it hurts! It cuts to the deepest places of our heart and soul and leaves wounds and scars that serve as a reminder of the diservice done. These wounds and scars seem to have a very appropriate place within our lives and I have a hard time not justifying them, but two days ago I got to experience healing.

Grace Baptist Church is a family. We go through hardships along with our joyous moments. We praise together and we mourne and weep together because that is what families do! Well this past Sunday, a dear friend came back. He came back to our church and back to his family. After a long time of playing cat and mouse in councilling and seeking repentance (let me just say that God works and just because things don't turn around on the timeline we want God is still powerful) he apologized to our whole family (church) very specifically. He asked his kids for forgiveness, he asked his wife for forgiveness, he asked our pastor for forgiveness, he asked our whole family for forgiveness. I wish I could accurately verbalize what we experienced. I believe it is a glimpse of the truth and promise of Freedom!

Yes, we were all crying. Tears of grief and sorrowful joy. I love this friend. Don't let anyone tell you that their choices don't affect anyone else! That is the farthest thing from the truth. My sin hurts everyone around me, especially those who look up to me.

We had the blessed opportunity to open the scripture and seek God's encouragement in this difficult and joyous situation.

"Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it (righteousness) my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it on my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us who are mature think this way..." (philippians 3:12-15)

God's grace is so awesome! We need to see that. And when we see how awesome God's grace and forgiveness is to us (I deserve what? eternal damnation because of what I do to God and everyone else every day of my life. I lust. I'm dishonest. I cut you down with wicked words) we can give it to our brothers and sisters who need it. After all " if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses" (Matthew 6:15).

When you open your heart to forgive there can be restoration, reconciliation and healing. We are not there yet, but we are on our way...

"Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness... Bear one another's burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ" (Galatians 6:1,2)

The happiest moment I have had in a long time was when this brother and I embraced and cried, he in my chest and I on his shoulder. And in fact I am crying again as I write this...